Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cuil. The new Google?

A friend just told me about Cuil (an Irish word pronounced "cool"), a new search engine that her middle-school-aged son said was "the new Google." I don't know if it is, or not, but it claims to have crawled three times as many pages as Google, and has an interesting layout for results. Personally, I'm kind of impressed that it launched yesterday and already a teen in Juneau knows about it.

So far, I haven't been able to find the advanced search operators, although they claim that they are especially good for complex queries. But I like their privacy policy, and see no ads, yet.

Will Cuil knock Google off it's pedestal? I don't know, but it seems like it might at least be a good one to watch.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Stallings said...

First time out it's bust for me. I rarely give something like this a second chance, there's not enough time in the day to hang around web companies trying to get their act together.

I searched for "adobe cs3 bug mac" which is a hot topic for me right now. Cuil displayed one result even though it claims "384,007 results for adobe cs3 bug mac". I spent about 45 seconds looking for the other results.

Cuil's grade: F-. The minus is because it wasted my time.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Freya said...

Others gave Cuil poor grades as well. Today, Slate asked for readers' opinions. Those opinions weren't uniformly bad, but pretty close. Perhaps I spoke too soon on this one.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home