Friday, April 18, 2008

Wiki options

AkLA's Continuing Education committee is looking at Web 2.0 tools for use with next year's conference. As part of this, we're researching wiki options, and decided to post the results here, so that anyone else who is interested in implementing a wiki can take advantage of our efforts.

Robyn Russell, of Rasmuson Library at UAF, suggested starting our comparison with WikiMatrix. Using their wizard, I came up with 13 wikis, to which I added MediaWiki, which AkLA already is planning on implementing for other uses. I narrowed this down by removing those which lacked features important to me, like the ability to export to PDF, to use CSS, and more, and ended up with.


BrainKeeper,
PBwiki,
SamePage,
Socialtext,
MediaWiki

Of these, my top two are PBwiki, because I'm the most familiar with it and I know it's easy, and MediaWiki, because AkLA has access already and because I'm somewhat familiar with it and know that it's fairly easy and has some really useful features.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

We'd love to have you using PBwiki! We've got a lot of libraries using us, and we do our best to make a product that meets your particular needs.

Chris Yeh
VP Enterprise Marketing
PBwiki, Inc.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home