Thursday, March 06, 2008

Purchase ideas

There was a lot to see in the exhibits area, with great books, DVDs and more from longtime and new vendors alike. I also discovered quite a few titles mentioned in the various sessions attended. Here are some of the titles I found jotted down in my notebook. I may post again if I find more goodies as I sort through my notes.

Books
Labels for Locals
: What to call people from Abilene to Zimbabwe, by Paul Dickson, rev. ed. 2006
I actually had this listed as Names for Locals, but this is the closest I could find on Amazon,
where it has 5 stars (albeit from one review). Basically, it helps you be culturally respectful by letting you know the correct naming convention for residents of various locales, so we don't all
fall for JFK's classic mistake of calling himself a jelly donut (ein Berliner).

Don't Make Me Think: A common sense approach to web usability, by Steve Krug, 2005

Prioritizing Web Usability, by Jakob Nielsen and Hoa Loranger, 2006

Design of Everyday Things, by Donald A. Norman, 2002

Emergency Response and Salvage wheel and Field Guide to Emergency Response
The text for the wheel is available at http://www.fema.gov/plan/ehp/response.shtm, or it can be purchased in combination with the guide at https://www.heritagepreservation.org/catalog.

List
PRESERVENW: An unmoderated list for discussing "the preservation of archival, library, and museum collections in the Pacific Northwest." To subscribe, go to https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/preservenw.

What titles did you find when going through your notes?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home